Here is a step by step how I did my 2 colours curtains for a patio door :
I’ve pre-ordered 5 yards (4,5m) of one of my textile design on linen-cotton canvas and put my curtain pole up.
1) Once it has arrived I cut it in 2 equal parts of 2,5 yards (90″) or 2,25m each
2) Then I measured the width of the window (72″ or 1,8m) and the height from the floor to the top of the pole (90 ” or 2,25 m)
The width of the fabric is ( 56″ or 1,4m) so 2 panels will add to a (108″ or 2,7m)
so perfect to cover the entire patio door!
But the height after the hemming won’t be enough so I’ll add a black fabric header to both parts and it will add a bit of drama to it 🙂
3: 4 :
3) First I’ll overlock all the cut edges so it won’t fray and I like the overlock professional finish but a simple zigzag will do the trick.
4) I fold the BOTTOM (take car of the direction of the fabric ) and measure the fold so it’s 9,5 inches or 23,75cm from one side to the other, I do so for the 2 panels
5) I re-fold outwards a lip of 1,5 inch or 3,75cm and as I go along …
6) I pin it in place sir all my measurements are not in vein.
7) I stitch both side of the bottom fold, I do so for the 2 panels
8) I cut the corners not getting closer than 1/8 of an inch or 4mm
9) I flip the fold outwards pushing the corners all the way out to make them perfect and square
10) I make sure that my bottom fold now measures 8″ or 20cm from the bottom to the inwards flip, and I pin it from one side to the other.
11) I stitch the closest I can the the border 1/16 of an inch or 2mm
12) I iron inwards the 2 side of the 2 panels
13 ) I pin my ironing so it won’t move while I sew and move the panels
14) I stitch near the finished edge of the fabric (away from the fold) from the bottom fold to the top, I do so for each sides of the 2 panels
15) I measure to length of the panels it gives me 80,5 inches or 2,05 m
16) I measure the finished width that gives me 54″ or 1,35m
17) I cut 2 pieces of black fabric 55″ or 1,375m wide (54″ + 1/2″ seam allowance on one side + 1/2″ seam allowance on the other side) or (1,5m + 1,25cm and seam allowance on one side + 1,25cm seam allowance on the other side)
by 26″ or 65cm in height (90″ *from pole to floor* – 80,5″ = 9,5″ + 2 x1/2″ seam allowance = 10,5″ +2,5″ on top of the pole= 13″ x 2 because I want to double it EQUALS 26″) or (2,25m *from pole to floor* – 2,05m = 20cm + 2 x1,25cm seam allowance = 26,25cm +6,25cm on top of the pole = 32,5cm x 2 because I want to double it EQUALS 65cm)
18 ) I pin Right side of the black fabric to wrong side of the of printed fabric leaving the extra hanging equally on each side
19 ) Stitch 1/2″ (1,25cm) from the the edge All the way from one side to the other, I do so for each sides of the 2 panels
20) I fold the black fabric backwards and pin the sides
21 ) I fold upwards the bottom edge of the black fabric 1/2″ (1,25cm) before stitching over it 1/2″ (1,25cm)from the sides
22) I fold back outside in the black folded part pushing the corners to make them square
23) I measure the fold making sure that 1/2″ (1,25cm) is folded inwards at the seam and that it measures 12,5″ or 31,25cm I do so for each top of the 2 panels
24) I stitch the closest I can the the border 1/16 of an inch or 2mm
25) I press the black fabric flat on each panel
26) I measure the width of the panel 54″ or 1,35m and I divide it by 8 (8 grommets) = 6,75″ or 16,9cm (always put an even number of grommets so your curtains sides will point the walls)
I make a mark with a chalk at 3,5″ or 8,75cm from the top so the top of the grommet will end up at 2, 5″ or 6,25cm from the top of the panel. The first mark will be 3,375″ or 8,45cm from the side, the second 6,75″ or 16,9cm from the first mark, and so on… I repeat for the other panel
27) I use the stencil to make the circle putting my mark in the middle of it and do so for all 8 marks on each panel
28) I cut carefully all of my 16 circles
29) Each grommet comes in 2 parts, one positive one negative. I put the positive on the right side facing down, the negative part underneath facing upward and then press until I hear “click” and hang them
30) RESULTS!!!! 🙂 Really happy about it.